I wasn't quite sure what to title this post but I think this is the best so far. I have loved music from my very early years and I clearly remember the "Sound of Music" LP record that we had, from the Rodger's and Hammerstein movie, and how I used to steal away to the downstairs rec room when I was only four years old to listen to that record on my own. I was captivated by it. I only saw the actual movie when I was about ten at a drive in when we were on a family summer holiday. Anyway, knowing how much that music meant to me, and still does, I made sure it was something I exposed Bean to as soon as I came across the DVD while out shopping. He has seen it literally hundreds of times now and it remains his all time favorite. Aside from this source of music, we have an electric piano, three guitars, a banjo and a violin which I played for a couple of years many years ago. He loves to take all these instruments out of their cases and strum and play notes. He has made a lot of progress with using the violin bow properly to get light sound from the strings. I thought it would never happen but he got it after much anxiety on my part that the bow might never recover from his rough handling of it.
So as you might guess, I was hoping that we were setting the stage for an appreciation of playing an instrument. I know that a person is naturally drawn to and discovers their own instrument based on the sound that stirs them but my dream was that this might be the piano or the cello or maybe the saxophone. Oh wouldn't that be nice. Sweet sounds of musical practice serenading us throughout the house throughout our lives. So looking forward to it. But guess what? Bean is showing an unbridled and glowing affinity for electric guitar. Ok. How do I feel about it? Bemused and surprised and accepting of this part of his natural interest. Was I expecting it? No, at least not at 3 years old. The only place I can think of that he has seen an electric guitar is on one of his Dora DVDs so only in cartoon, oh and I also remember that I went to see the band "Heart" in concert in my final trimester of pregnancy. Could those be the things that caused the sound to reach and affect him?
Whatever the case, we now have two instructional electric guitar DVDs which he watches and I consequently hear over and over and over. He first spotted one of them at the library and when he picked it up I was just about to tell him that it was for kids older than him but I stopped myself and decided to follow his lead. One day we returned it, at his insistence, and when he realized later that we couldn't watch it anymore he lobbied to return to the library relentlessly to get it back. On Monday when the library reopened, the librarian turned the place upside down searching for that DVD and when she finally located it he thanked and thanked her and repeated "I'm so happy we found the guitar people, I'm so happy we found the guitar people", all the way home.
No comments:
Post a Comment