Monday, May 13, 2013

First day of freedom

My last day at work was Friday - yaaahooo!  It was a windy and chilly mother's day weekend, but it was still a really nice one.  My whole family got together with my mother, nephews and niece included, and went for brunch at this beautiful lodge in the woods that we sometimes go to.  Often we go for a walk afterwards but since it was rainy and I'm so pregnant, it just wasn't on the agenda this year.  I look forward to next year though.

The baby still continues to make big manoevers in my abdomen, like little earthquakes really.  Several people have told me that after the baby is born, I will miss those movements.  Hmmm, that is something that hadn't occured to me.  I would think that the baby being out in the world and holdable would supercede such a thought, but that is what I'm told happens.  One friend said it didn't happen to her until many years later, but the memory did surface and she remembered it nostalgically.

I began the first of many errands I need to get done today, including buying an extension for the stroller to clip the car seat onto it and changing my internet to wireless - yes that is how busy and old fashioned I have been - still using a laptop with wires draped all over the dining room.  Can't wait to be able to use my laptop wherever I want in the house.  I also washed all the baby clothes, blankets and toys I received as gifts for the baby.  Another one of my sister-in-law's wise tips.  I know I'm lucky to have so many people helping and supporting me with this.  This is a matter of timing though.  It is a good time in my family's life, with my mother recently having moved here and my oldest brother's family having a newly empty nest and therefore a lot of time and support to give to me.  And there are also many other pregnant women and new mothers in my office who I've had the benefit of exchanging much info and support with.  The environment would have been very different had I done this a few years ago.

So that's my update.  Oh, I was also debating making this a private blog but I have decided to keep it public for at least a little while so that people can find me.  That is how I found the other SMC blogs afterall.  So perhaps I'll reign it in after I've circulated a while.  Talk soon.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you've finished work now...it'll be so nice to be able to get some errands and chores done, sleep in or lie down in the middle of the day, etc etc. Enjoy these last few weeks before things change so much.

    Oh, and I too am nostalgic about when Matthew was so active inside of me. It was painful in the end b/c he was breach and was stepping on my pelvic bones all the time and hitting some big nerve in my back, but yes, I miss feeling that movement. It's one of the few times in my life that my body felt like it was doing what it was supposed to do. So I agree with the person who encouraged you to enjoy it...there's no other feeling quite like that one!

    Hugs,

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete